Self Awareness Safety Tips
1. If a robber asks you for your wallet or purse, do not hand it to him. Toss it away from you. Chances are that he is more interested in your wallet or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. Then run the opposite direction.
2. Always take the elevator instead of the stairs if possible. Stairwells are dangerous places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at night.
3. If you are ever thrown in the trunk of a car, kick out the tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you, but other drivers will.
4. When dealing in a situation when a robber has a gun pointed at you, run if you can. Always run away in a zig zag pattern. It is very difficult to hit a moving target and chances are you will not be hit in a vital area.
5. Avoid walking alone at night. Instead walk with a classmate, friend, or someone you trust.
6. Don't use headphones while walking. This is a major distraction and one that predators look for. (The unaware victim)
7. Always walk in well-lighted areas and avoid the use of shortcuts if not well lit. Very dangerous.
8. After dark, keep away from large bushes or doorways where someone could be lurking.
9. If someone you don't know is in a vehicle and stops and asks for directions, answer from a distance. DO NOT approach the vehicle.
10. If you feel you are being followed, go to an area with lights and people. If necessary, turn around and walk the opposite direction. Call the police.
11. If possible, carry a cell phone at all times. If you don't have a cell phone, be knowledgeable of any type of emergency phone in the area.
12. Carry a flashlight when walking at night. A flashlight can help provide visibility in dark areas that are unavoidable.
13. When going to your car from any location (shopping, mall, work etc), always have your keys ready and place the key between your thumb and index finger. A key makes for a handy weapon if needed during an attack. Remember, once inside your car, make sure the doors are locked!
14. Stay Alert! Keep your eyes moving and scan the area. This is perhaps the most important self defense technique and it may be all you need to deter an attacker.